Saturday, May 10, 2008

This year's pepper garden

Last year, I tried my hand at pepper gardening for the first time. My most overwhelming success was the jalapeños, of which I had so many that I ran out of people willing to take the extras off my hands!

This year, I'm going for stunning variety, including various bell and similar peppers because my mom loves 'em:

Anaheim (Must-have for roasting, stuffing, etc.)
Cayenne
Serrano
Poblano/Ancho
Aji Benito
Aurora (cool colors)
Blushing Beauty Hybrid (interesting color effects)
Boynton Bell Hybrid (some bacteria resistance)
Brazilian Starfish (nifty shaped fruit)
Bull Nose (bell)
Cayenne Purple ("yellow to purple to red")
Centennial Rainbow (The vendor pic reminds me of an Easter basket.)
Fatalii (How can I *not* order a pepper with "fatal" in the name?)
Five Color ("purple to cream to yellow to orange to red")
Gumdrop (Name says it all.)
Habanero White
Habanero White 2 (Because one kind of white habanero clearly isn't enough.)
Jalapeño Jumbo (Last year's, though delicious, were tiny, and I tired of hearing about it.)
Szegedi Giant (Cool-looking and not so deadly hot.)
Tabasco Greenleaf ("more disease resistant")
Trinidad Perfume (Freaky cool-looking and "antastic aroma and flavor with no heat")
Whopper Hybrid (Big, sweet bell, "resistant to TMV")

I've chosen what I feel is a representative sample of different levels of heat, environmental preferences, etc.

The local expectation is that at least most of these should succeed, but I'll be pleased if at least several plants thrive and yield good fruit.

No comments: